Table salt is sodium chloride. Sodium is an essential element for the body. Adequate sodium is needed to maintain water balance in the body, and for normal nerve and muscle function. However, excess sodium is harmful to the body.
Excess sodium intake increases the risk of high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease, kidney disease, stomach cancer and osteoporosis. Therefore, it is necessary to know the calculation of how much salt should be taken every day.
Sodium intake should be limited to 2,300 milligrams per day. One teaspoon of salt contains 2,325 mg of sodium. That is, you can eat less than one teaspoon of salt every day. Daily sodium needs are met with normal amounts of salt in cooked foods. Consuming more salt than this increases health risks. So things to be taken care of-
- Do not take extra salt in the leaves. Do not keep salt pan on the dining table. Do not add excess salt in cooking.
- Salt enhances the taste of food. We often eat fruits, salads etc. with salt. Avoid such practices. Instead, you can use various spices, lemon or other sour fruit juice, fresh or dry herbs (such as cilantro) to make the food tasty.
- In many cooking steps (soups, stews, even main dishes) the salt level can be reduced if desired (alternative methods can be used to enhance flavor). Even if you go to eat in a restaurant, you can give formash, so that the level of salt in the food is kept low.
- Sauce or ketchup, soy sauce, cheese, mayonnaise, chips, chanachur, kasundi, mustard—all are loaded with sodium. So it is better to eat less of them. Instant noodles, salted butter or salted butter, salted biscuits, fish or animal in shell, jerky and other foods preserved with salt (such as canned food) should also be avoided. Hot dogs, sausages etc. are also relatively high in salt.
- When buying food or food ingredients, check the sodium level on the package (even in bread). Then it will be possible to calculate sodium intake. Baking powder and baking soda contain salt. Therefore, the food made with them should be calculated. Sodium can have many different chemical names (eg monosodium glutamate). How many servings will be in each packet is also written. If it has more than 200 milligrams of sodium per serving, it’s best not to buy it at all.
- Some people cannot eat food unless it tastes a little salty. Such a person can practice reducing the amount of salt in food very little.